Sunday, July 5, 2009

NYC to Lisbon 2009

Ok, I woke up at 6.30ish AM on friday, to be driven to Providence, Rhode Island, to catch the 10.16 AM train to Newark International Airport. The idea was to end the flights to NY and start flying to Boston, since it's only 1h away from Woods Hole. Got to the Airport 2hours before the check in started, but the Portuguese airline was nice to take my luggage.

I roamed the airport for a couple of hours. Truthfully I mostly sat at a bar sipping gin and tonic. I was tired already. I wanted to be nice and relaxed for my flight, fantasizing with a long sleeping flight. But no, not at all.

Instead there was a f**king 4 year-old who screamed the entire flight. His parents took the angry eyes of the entire crew of hostesses and passengers, and did nothing. I don't get it. To avoid the screaming awful noise I instead listenned very loudly my nice playlist of Kruder & Dorfmeister, with some Marley in the middle. Of course, while listening to good music I was too involved in the details of it to actually fall asleep, despite the 2 or 3 glasses of wine they served me during the flight ... yes, Portuguese airline, you get to drink wine.

Got to Lisbon at 6AM (GMT 0.00 time, or 1AM in Massachusetts). The sun was shinning through the palm trees in front of the Arrivals Terminal. I sat outside for a bit, sleepless, smoking a Danish Export and welcoming myself to Lisbon, my city, to all this sun and warmth even at 6AM. Finally called Mom to come and get me at the airport. Zen, very zen and sleep deprived.

20 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: Saturday morning passed with a bunch of health related things that had been scheduled before my arrival. I also had a nice portuguese breakfast, with BICA and PASTEL DE NATA (espresso and custard pastry), passed by my crazy hairdresser Anna at Bairro Alto, one of the historical neighborhoods of Lisbon. It was so great to roam the streets and feel how every place is still so familiar and happy and the sun was everywhere!!!!


26 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: Off to Meco beach, my favorite beach close to Lisboa ... with Mom!


27 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: not being able to actually fall asleep at Meco Beach


... New Yorker was not boring enough to make me sleep


Yes, it is a nudist beach


Mom is beautiful


The beach is beautiful too


Rita and Ricardo joined us at the beach


Pro beach vs just arrived!


Oh the rock colors are amazing here


Heading to the restaurant at the beach, something I miss a lot in the States


31 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: at the restaurant at the beach I decide to have a gin tonic ... bad idea


Mom, still gorgeous



34 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: Dinner at JesusLee, Goa indian restaurant! (source: NUNO) with Joana, João and Nuno




Yep, very tired (source: NUNO)



36 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: getting more and more tired, but no wrapping up the first night until early morning!




After eating the amazing food, sipping through 2 bottles of red wine, and some shots of Jameson, some dancing before heading out!


After some JJ (source: NUNO)


On the way to Silk (source: NUNO)





Getting fuzzier and fuzzier




Calçada do Combro, near Bairro Alto




38 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: heading to Silk, private bar at a rooftop in the historical neighborhood of Chiado (source: NUNO)


39 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: dancing at Silk (source: NUNO)



42 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: still dancing and dancing (source: NUNO)







44 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: Joana and I take a photo with a Portuguese soccer player, Abel Xavier (source: NUNO)


and Cristiano Ronaldo, the most well payed soccer player in the world, was at Silk (source: NUNO)


The view at SILK was beautiful, with the Castle S. Jorge on the east end of the view and the 25 of April Bridge on the west end of the view


uh, fuzzier...


46 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: we leave Silk and head to another mega DJ party at OpArt (source: NUNO)


48 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: dancing at OpArt, DJ party all the time, by the Tejo river




49 HOURS WITH NO SLEEP: going to bed now.... zzzzz

No comments: